WHAT IS “PERSONAL INFORMATION”?
“Personal information” is any information about an identifiable individual. If we were to say that “everyone who lives in Vancouver Granville, lives in Canada”, this would not be considered to be Personal Information, as it does not refer to an individual. If we were to say that “John Q. Smith of 1234 Granville Street” lives in Canada, this would be an example of personal information as it includes information about an identifiable individual, in this case, the fictitious John Q. Smith.
Personal Information about an individual can include factors such as, but not limited to, name, address, age, gender, phone number and financial information.
HOW DO WE OBTAIN YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND WHAT DO WE OBTAIN?
We collect or receive personal information in several different ways. Some information is provided to us directly by Elections Canada as every confirmed candidate for the federal election in 2019 will receive a “List of Electors” from Elections Canada, which includes the names and addresses of eligible voters.
We also obtain other information that you choose to give us. You may do so in a variety of ways, including:
- When you visit our website for the purpose of becoming involved with the campaign as a volunteer or donor.
- In conversations with our volunteers who knock on doors or call households
- When you choose to subscribe to our communications such as emails.
- If you register to attend a JWR Campaign event
- If you complete a donation form either electronically or on paper.
- If you choose to email us or write to us with any questions.
- It is also possible that your information could be provided to us by a volunteer or friend who thinks you would be interested in helping to re-elect Jody Wilson-Raybould.
The information we collect may include:
- Contact and identification information, such as your name, address, telephone numbers, e-mail address and social media contacts.
- Donation information such as date and amount of your donation.
- Financial information that we need to process your donation e.g. payment methods and preferences, billing and banking information (e.g. credit card number and expiry date).
- Information you share about your voting preferences or the issues that matter most to you in Vancouver-Granville.
HOW DO WE USE AND SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- If you have written to us with a concern or a question, we will use the contact information that you have provided to respond to your request or question.
- If you donate to the fund to re-elect Jody Wilson-Raybould, we will use your information to process your donation and to issue you a receipt as well as be able to report your donation(s) as required by law to Elections Canada. We may also use it to contact you to make sure that you are eligible to donate or to clarify information needed to process your donation.
- If you provide us with any other information about yourself for a purpose that you tell us you wish, for example that you have certain skills that could help in our campaign, we will share it with the campaign team leader that can use those skills!
In addition, we may use third party providers to perform tasks on our behalf, such as processing your donation, or providing technical services to our website. When information is shared with third parties for these purposes, we include privacy protective clauses in written contracts to help safeguard personal information. Any other purposes will specifically ask for your consent.
We promise not to sell or rent your information to any other party for any other purposes.
HOW DO WE PROTECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
The security of your personal information is important to us, and we use physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to prevent unauthorized use, sharing, loss and theft of information.
For example, for information provided online, our website contains security measures in order to protect against the unauthorized disclosure, loss, misuse, or alteration of the information under our control. We also implement measures such as SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption on sensitive information including passwords and credit card information.
WHAT IF I NEED TO CONTACT YOU OR UPDATE OR REMOVE MY INFORMATION?
You may update or correct the information in our possession by e-mailing us at:
or by writing to us at:
Privacy Officer C/O Official Agent, PO Box 20025 Fairview PO, Vancouver, BC, V5Y 0C1
WHAT ABOUT ANTI-SPAM LEGISLATION (CASL)?
Most of the messages sent by us are exempt from the application of Canada’s Anti-Spam law which applies to commercial electronic messages sent to electronic addresses. This is because the electronic messages that we send are generally either those asking for donations, which are specifically exempt under the law, or are messages of a political, not a commercial, character.
At your direction, we will remove you from any email lists if you tell us, simply by writing or emailing us as above.
DO WE USE “COOKIES” ON OUR WEBSITE?
HOW LONG DO WE RETAIN THIS INFORMATION?
We will only retain personal information for as long as necessary to satisfy the purposes of the campaign as determined by the candidate, or as determined by law, (such as those governing campaigns by Elections Canada or Canada Revenue Agency), and when no longer needed, will be destroyed in a secure manner.
June 2, 2019